Prince George's County Department of Parks and Recreation
 > Home > Exhibitions > Aircraft Collections > 1936 Taylor J-2 "Cub"

1936 Taylor J-2 "Cub"

1936 Cub The "Cub" was a common sight at general aviation airports throughout the 1930s, 40s and 50s, and George Brinckerhoff used the planes for flight instruction here at College Park Airport for 30 years.

It was an enormously popular civilian aircraft; more pilots learned to fly in the Cub than in any other airplane. The aircraft in the museum's main gallery was manufactured by the Taylor Aircraft Company, which was taken over by William Piper shortly after the introduction of the Cub. The Piper J-3 was substantially the same as the Taylor J-2 and continued to be nicknamed the "Cub."

NC16769 (serial no. 771) is on loan to the College Park Aviation Museum from Tom Hillier of Escalon, California.

Wingspan:
35 feet, 2 inches 
Length:
22 feet, 5 inches 
Empty Weight:
563 lbs. 
Gross Weight:
970 lbs. 
Powerplant:
40-hp Continental A-40 
Maximum Speed:
87 mph 
Range:
200 miles