Prince George's County Department of Parks and Recreation
 > Home > Exhibitions > Aircraft Collections > 1911 Curtiss Model D Reproduction

1911 Curtiss Model D Reproduction

Completed in 2010, this reproduction 1911 Curtiss Model D Pusher was built in the College Park Aviation Museum's own restoration shop. The plane was raised on April 17, 2010 and is the newest member of the museum's collection.

The Model D was a biplane fitted with a wheeled, tricycle undercarriage. The construction was primarily of spruce, with ash used in parts of the engine bearers and undercarriage beams, with doped linen stretch over it. The outrigger beams are made of bamboo. Prevented by patents from using the Wright brothers’ wing warping technique to provide lateral control, Curtiss used ailerons instead. Model Ds were constructed with a pusher configuration, where the propeller is behind the pilot. Because of this configuration, they were often referred to as a “Curtiss pusher”. Early examples were built in a canard configuration, with elevators mounted on struts at the front of the aircraft in addition to a horizontal stabilizer at the rear. Later versions dispensed with the front elevator and are often referred to as “headless” pushers.

The Curtiss Model D was used by the United States Army at Ft. Sam Houston before being moved to the Army Aviation School at College Park. The aircraft on display portrays the plane used at College Park in 1911.