Learn to Skate
Register online or in person at any M-NCPPC facility.
For the most up-to-date ice skating course offerings call the ice rink for a schedule or view the ice skating courses in Parks Direct.
Learn to Skate with ISI
The Ice Sports Industry (ISI) Recreational Skating Program is fun and rewarding:
- After mastering the basics you can advance to higher figure skating levels and even join a synchronized skating team
- Classes are offered October through March for all ages
- Offers opportunities to participate each year in at least five National/International ISI competitions
- Provides ice skating programs and attainable testing levels for skaters of all ages and abilities
- Provides opportunities for skaters to participate in exhibitions, shows, and in local and district competitions
- Teaches skating maneuvers that can be easily mastered for measurable results
ISI Test Classes
Very young children require special classes with instruction given in a fun - rather than a more formal - atmosphere.
Teddy Bear Class (Age 1-4 years)
Parents work with their child to help develop the skills of crawling, standing, walking, jumping, hopping, turning and gliding on the ice.
Tot 1-4 (Age 1-4 years)
Test maneuvers are broken down into smaller parts so that beginners can easily learn and master the skills.
Tot 1 (Age 3-5 years)
Instruction includes standing on ice, falling/getting up properly, marching in place, marching while moving, two foot jump in place, forward swizzle, standing still and moving swizzle.
Tot 2 (Age 3-5 years)
Instruction includes preparation for beginning stroke, snowplow stops, teapot glide, forward and backward swizzles, backward wiggle, right/left foot T-position and push.
Tot 3/4 (Ages 3-5 years)
Skaters will refine the skill of skating on one foot, stopping and beginning crossovers.
Pre-Alpha to Delta (all ages)
Beginner level step-by-step progression of skills makes learning fun and fast! It's important to master these skating "basics" before moving on to higher levels of achievement.
Pre-Alpha (new beginners)
- Falling & getting up properly
- Forward & backward swizzles
- Left/right one foot glide
- Forward crossovers in both directions
- Forward stroking
- Snowplow stops
- Back crossovers in both directions
- Back stroking
- Left/right T stops
- Hockey stop
- Right/left forward inside Mohawk
- Right/left forward outside three turn
- Bunny hop
- Forward outside/inside edges
- Right/left forward inside three turns
- Shoot-the-duck or lunge
All freestyle students should sign up for this class; levels will be determined on the first day of class, then the group will break down according to ability:
- Half-rotation jumps and basic spins
- Triple jumps and flying spins
- Must pass the Delta level
Advanced Turns & Edges
Focus of the class is on edge quality:
- Basic and advanced edgework
- Footwork patterns including ISI dance step sequences
- Must have passed Gamma level
For skaters looking to experience the artistic side of figure skating:
- Competition and performance based course
- Introduction to recreational figure skating competition
Open Freestyle Bronze-Platinum
This addition to the testing program opens up many more opportunities for skaters at all Freestyle levels:
- Adult skaters who might not be strong enough on a required maneuver in the traditional Freestyle 1-10 test levels but still want to advance and compete
- Current ISI skaters who might be stuck between levels but still want to advance while performing new maneuvers
- USFS skaters who wish to compete in local, district or national ISI events
Competitions, Shows & Exhibitions
These events are so much fun that many of our skaters return year after year to participate, meet new friends and improve their skills! Any skater who can pass any level of ISI test is eligible and encouraged to participate in a local, district and/or ISI national competition event.
All ISI competition events encourage "participation, not elimination." Every skater in every event receives a medal or award, and all skaters receive team points to help their rink team's overall score.
Wells Ice Rink Skaters
The Herbert Wells Ice Rink skaters compete and have earned recognition in local, district and National ISI competitions.
Congratulations to Herbert Wells Ice Rink skaters for competing and earning recognition in local and district competitions.